Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ranch...mmm mmm mmm good

Here in Chile everyday is a different Saints Day and today is Santa Sylvia. I think it is an appropriate day to officially start Jake’s excavation of the site which is named Santa Sylvia. The only thing is that it is too rainy and cold to actually do anything. We started digging on the 3rd but he officially got his permits yesterday making today the official day to begin. We couldn’t dig yesterday because of the rain either so we have spent that time in the cabin. It was 34 degrees this morning and the grocery store we go to down the street had up their Christmas decorations already, so I feel like I am at home….sort of.

We went to the store this morning to get some more bread, milk, and a few other odds and ends. While Jake was getting some ham for him and thinly sliced turkey for me from the deli I was roaming around the cheese case and to my great pleasure what did I find? Right before my eyes there were packets of sour cream! Small and pricey packets of sour cream but sour cream no less. Oh this made me so happy for I had brought with me Hidden Valley Ranch dip and dressing packets and to be able to finally use them made me giddy. We returned home and I immediately opened a pack and began stirring them together. The sour cream pack was not enough to make the entire ranch packet but it was enough to last me for a little bit. After having Jake taste it to make sure it wasn’t nasty I began to make my lunch. The only bread that I like to eat from the store bakery is basically homemade hot dog buns. They are really the only soft ones. I sliced a fresh bun open and placed some turkey, some cheese (not Swiss cheese but it wasn’t bad), some avocado, and drizzled some of my precious ranch dressing on top. I closed the sandwich and took a bite. It was good, oh it was good. It had been two hours since I ate it and I am not sick! That turkey was the first meat (I am not counting McDonald’s as meat because it is the same as at home) I have eaten and I didn’t get sick! Oh what a glorious day! Remember, Remember the 5th of November. The turkey, cheese, and ranch. I see no reason why the soft breaded sandwich should ever be forgot.

Hopefully we will be able to go to the site tomorrow and dig up something exciting, but until then we will wait for the rain to stop and watch Firefly. We enjoyed seeing lots of photos of everyone’s Halloween. Hope everyone is well at home.


Mandy & Jake


No comments: